I seen this recipe and figured I would have to try it, I mean come on if John Wayne liked it then it has to be good. :) I changed it just a little. I used fresh jalapenos that I chopped and cooked with the onions and bell pepper. My husband loved it, I won't tell you how much he just ate. He does not eat a lot of bread so he ate around it.
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning (I used a package and a half)
¾ cup water (I used 1 cup)
½ cup sour cream (I used 3/4 cup)
½ cup light mayonnaise (I used 3/4 cup)
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used 1 1/2 cups)
1 onion, diced
2 cups biscuit mix (I used Bisquick)
1 cup water
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 (4 oz) can green chilis (I used 3 fresh jalapeno that I seeded and cooked with the onion and bell pepper)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef until no longer pink, then add taco seasoning and ¾ cup water and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, mayo, half of the cheese, and half of the onion together and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together biscuit mix and water to make a soft dough. Press dough into the bottom and ½" up the sides of greased 9x13" pan.
- Saute remaining onions and green peppers until barely tender.
- On top of the biscuit, layer the remaining ingredients in this order: ground beef, diced tomatoes, green peppers and onions, green chilis, sour cream mixture, and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.