Saturday, December 10, 2011

Candy Cane Cookies


I had a very special little visitor come over today. Mommy and Daddy both had to work so he got to come over to Papa and Grandma's to play. We have not seen him in over a week so he was so excited to come over. When Noah and his Mommy (my daughter Kim) came in the house he was so excited to be here that I went to give him a
big hug and a kiss and you know what he did? He ran right pass me yelling..."Uncle Jacob!!" yep, he was so excited to come over to play with Uncle Jacob. LOL Now you understand why I made the cookie dough, yes to bribe him. LOL When that stops working I pull out the books. :o)
Noah loves sprinkles so much that I bought two huge new bottles a few days ago so we could bake cookies. I will admit his cookies tasted really good with all that sugar.
1 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
red food coloring (I just pour it in, I like it dark red)
peppermint candy canes, crushed
white and red sugar for decoration

           

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, white sugar and confectioners' sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla and peppermint extracts. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Cover or wrap dough and chill for at least one hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees  Grease cookie sheets. Divide dough into halves. Color one half red by mixing in the food color. Roll a small amount of each dough into a 2 inch long worm. Roll them together in a twisted rope and curve the end like a cane. Place onto prepared cookie sheets.
 Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. In a small bowl, mix together the crushed candy cane and remaining white sugar. Sprinkle on top before baking.
We also made some thumb print ones and added hugs to the center as soon as they came out of the oven.







                                                                                         These are my favorite ones.

5 comments:

My Crazy Family said...

Yes he dropped most of them but hey we think we got them but that is OK, we did not tell Papa. :o)

The JR said...

Aw, he's cute!

My Crazy Family said...

He is such a cutie and so funny. Sometimes when he talks I wonder if he is really only 3. :o)

Carrie said...

Hey! I know it is past Christmas, but we just started Kids in the Kitchen linky and I would LOVE for you to share this on my blog. We are trying to encourage kids to get involved in the kitchen and help cook. Photos are not required, but we really like them. You can find the link here: http://younglivingoillady.com/home/kids-in-the-kitchen-link-up/

Thanks so much! Carrie at younglivingoillady dot com

Unknown said...

thanks for linking up with Kids in the Kitchen! Carrie and I both thank you :) I hope you'll link up again on Tuesday with another home cooking meal- no kids necessary in the pictures (of course we do love it when they are) but we believe most food is healthier (body, mind, and spirit) when cooked at home & shared with the family! Hope you'll join us- begins on Tues - open all week!