Saturday, November 17, 2012

Clara’s Caramel Corn (the best caramel corn)


About 30 years ago my Mother-in-law bought me a cookbook from a church fundraiser in Orville, Ca.
All these years it has had some of my favorite recipes, some are lost because the book was so well used.  I know once it had a green cover and that is also long gone. I would love to find another one to replace all my missing pages. This recipe for caramel corn I believe is the best one I have ever had. This will shock all those who know me, I did not change the recipe at all I just added almonds to it.
1 ¼ cup butter
2 cup brown sugar
½ cup white Karo syrup
1 t salt
½ t baking soda
1 t vanilla
2 cup almonds or pecans
6 quarts popped popcorn

                Stir butter, brown sugar, Karo and salt until it starts boiling. Boil 5 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over 6 quarts popcorn in a non-stick pan. Stir well. Place on 2 or more cookie sheets and bake at 250 degrees for one hour. Stir often.

No comments: