I did not like this shortbread recipe so I posted mine right below the recipe I followed for these.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
¾ cup whole blanched almonds (I used almond slices)
1 tube red decorator gel
1. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, almond and vanilla extracts.
2. Whisk together flour and salt in a medium bowl. Add to wet mixture and beat just until moistened. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (or lightly grease them.)
4. Working with one quarter of the dough at a time and keeping the remainder refrigerated, roll heaping teaspoonful of dough into finger shape for each cookie. Press almond firmly into 1 end for nail. Squeeze in center to create “knuckle” shape. Using a small knife, make slashes in several places to complete the look of the knuckle.
5. Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pale golden. Let cool for 3 minutes. Lift up almond, squeeze red decorator gel onto nail bed and press almond back in place, so gel oozes out from underneath.
6. Remove from baking sheets and let cool on racks (and let the red gel harden).