Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tofu Parmesan Subs

So I have made remarks on my blog before that my oldest son has been a vegetarian for about 8 months or so now. Well in my food network magazine I got in the mail there was this recipe, it looked so good I knew I had to make it for my son. Well to make a long story short it has got to be the best sandwich I have ever tasted. I am making ours with chicken instead of Tofu but I think I will make mine with Tofu. You have got to try it.
1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
1 clove garlic, smashed. I used two
8 fresh basil leaves, torn. My store was out so I used about 1 tsp dried
salt and pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian), I will admit I did not measure this or anything else
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, I did not have any so once again I used basil and I think I used a little more.
1 egg, I used two because I hate when I run out.
2 1/2T Olive oil
1 loaf whole-wheat Italian bread, cut into 4 pieces and split in half
1 12oz package firm Tofu, drained and sliced into 4 pieces
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound baby spinach, about 8 cups
Preheat broiler. Combine tomatoes, garlic. basil and one cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until slightly thickened. About 15 minutes.
Toss the breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and the Italian seasoning on a plate. Season with salt and pepper. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Dip the tofu into the egg and then in the crumb mixture, turning to coat. Heat 2 T olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add the tofu and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place the bread cut side up on a broiler pan, spread the bottom half with sauce then top with tofu, more sauce, the mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Broil until the cheese melts and the bread is toasted, about 2 minutes.
Mean while heat the remaining olive oil in the empty skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and let wilt one minute. Place on top of cheese and cover with the bread top.
I did not cook my spinach, I like it raw.
If you like it with meat I did the same things but replaced the tofu with boneless chicken breast.

No comments: