Monday, January 10, 2011

Chicken Asparagus Chowder

  • Here is the recipe changed up a little as to how I make it. I sometimes add thyme but I like it better without it. I do not measure when I put it together but I always add more chicken, asparagus and potatoes since those are what we like. Also the recipe calls for 5 strips of bacon, I don't know about your family but five strips would be the amount for one person in mine. I just left it for you to add what you want. I sometimes will but the bag from Costco (real bacon bits) not that hard fake stuff. I will admit it is better with bacon you fry yourself. I think the more the better but I love bacon. I also some times just throw the bacon in with the soup before I put it on the table. I know I have the recipe on here someplace with a picture but I cannot find it.








  • 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)  If I want to save a little time I will use about 5 chicken breast
    5-1/2 quarts water
    4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
    bacon strips, diced
    3 medium carrots, chopped
    2 medium onion, chopped
    1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
    1 tablespoon salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream 

    Place chicken, water and bouillon in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Cover and slowly bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove 1 cup broth and set aside.
    In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute the carrots, onion and asparagus in drippings over medium heat until crisp-tender. Add to kettle along with the potatoes, salt, thyme and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
    Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into thin strips; add to soup along with cream and parsley. Heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with bacon just before serving. 16-18 servings


      No comments: