Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Toffee













I know it has been awhile since I posted anything so I hope this makes up for it. I love toffee, it is one of my favorite....well caramel is also a favorite.
So a lot has been going on at my house. We got a new puppy. It has been a year and a half since we had lost Mia to cancer. We had gone to the animal shelter for the past year just looking. We have gone in private rooms to spend time with puppies and see if they where a good match for us. Well about two months ago we went in and to make a long boring story short we came out with Khloe. Well her nae was not Khloe at the time. The very has no idea what she is, we see dachshund for sure in her, they think maybe Cocker Spaniel, maybe some beagle and even some cattle dog. Yep she is a mess. But we love that homely little thing.
Then my son joined the Air Force and left on the 15th of November and I have gone back to work. Trying to get use to working, keeping up with the house and keeping my photography business alive. I love working and the hours have been great, once I get use to the hours and 4 hours sleep a day I will be back to my normal self and hopefully blogging and working on recipes more. This might be the Christmas we all lose weight. :o) I was saying working is like going to a gym that pays me to workout. I love the job and work with some really sweet people.
So back to my toffee. I was thinking about toffee and what to do differently with it. I love nuts and Coconut but  some of my family members do not like either, I was not willing to leave all of it off so I left the coconut I was going to toast off.
4 cups butter
4 cups white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate
2 cup chopped almonds   
2 cups chopped Macadamia nuts        
In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a medium/dark amber color (don't let it burn, if you smell it the it will be too late)  and the temperature has reached 285 degrees Stir occasionally.
While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil put half the nuts on the foil lined pan.               



As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate and white chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly.
Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

No comments: