Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tamales




OK I do not measure when I cook a lot of stuff but wanted to make sure I wrote this recipe down it was so good.
Pork Tamales
Pork
Garlic powder
salt
pepper
Cumin
Chili Powder
California chili (just throw them in the pan to cook with the meat)
onion
garlic
water
Bake in oven at 350 until meat falls apart easy.
Mean while take off the stems and the seeds out of a handful of California dried chilies and wash them out to take the seeds out. Put them in a pan and cover with water, boil and when it comes to a boil turn off the water and let sit until the water cools.
Soak corn husk in waters.
When meat is done take out onions, chilies and garlic, add to a blended with the chilies and water that you had cooling in the pan. Blend very well. Pour this over your cut up pork and set a side.
Chicken Tamales
sames spices as above but cover with water and boil until tender and cooked
can diced green chili
Green Enchilada sauce
Shred chicken and add can diced chilies and green enchilada sauce, set aside.
I always get my Masa made for me but never will again after making this one.
8 cups MaSeCa instant corn masa for tamales
5 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup corn oil
5 cups of the broth you cooked your chicken in.
Mix the first 4 items together well with your hands. Add broth 1/2 cup at a time continue mixing with your hands until the consistency of cookie dough. You should be able to spread this with a knife of a spreader. I find if you did the spreader in water it is easier.
If you add to much liquid you can always add a little more masa to thicken it. I found I had to keep adding broth because I was worried it would be to thin, when it was thinner it was easy to spread. Not to thin though.

No comments: