Sunday, December 13, 2009

Lemon roll

These are my favorite serving platters, they were given to me my a sweet family that us to attend our church before they moved to AZ. I use them for every holiday and I think of them all the time I use them. It came with this platter, a tea pot and a serving bowl. They will be on our table for Christmas also. This is the first time I am using them for church, if they break I will be so heart broken.
We are having a Christmas pot-luck dinner at church tonight and I have all these lemons I need to use up, so I figured i would make a Lemon Roll with lemon filling. Well since I was in a hurry and did not let the cake cool all the way so it cracked. Well I figured I will use Cool Whip to hide it and everything taste better with Cool Whip. I have some Lemon Bread I want to make for Christmas gifts so I juiced all the lemons and will store the juice until I need it. Years ago I had the best lemon Bread/cake recipe ever so I am going to play around a little and see what I come up with.
Many years ago I use to attend these home parties about making suckers and they would come with a recipe on turning your suckers into Toffee, it was my favorite recipe, this was about 26 years ago. I sure would love to have that recipe again. :o)

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
FILLING:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup lemon juice
Directions
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and smooth. Add water. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture just until moistened. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn cake out onto a kitchen towel. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off the waxed paper. Beginning with short side, roll up cake, jelly-roll style. Cool completely on a wire rack.
For filling, in a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, egg, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute longer until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Unroll cake; spread cooled filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator."

No comments: