Monday, March 1, 2010

German Chocolate Cake Cheesecake


OK I have to tell you I do not like Chocolate and lets get it over with one more time, I really hate coffee. So there I said it once again. I know so many cannot believe this. Now that that is over with I have to tell you I love this cheesecake. I got the recipe from Mommyskitchen.net you need to get over there and check out her blog. This is really yummy. When I was young my brother would always want a German Chocolate cake for his birthday, the only thing I would eat was the frosting on it and leave the cake. This is so good and rich.
Cake
1 package Duncan Hines German chocolate cake mix
OK I do change something to the recipe, for the water it calls for I add cold coffee.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
FROSTING:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed (not margarine)
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
1-1/2 cup chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS:
Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings"

No comments: