Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Waffles







I was thinking about how much Rhonda's daughter Jessica likes to cook when I was making these so I thought i would post the recipe for her.

1-¾ cup All-purpose Flour
1-¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
⅛ teaspoons Salt
2 whole Eggs, Large (room Temperature)
1 whole Egg White, Large (room Temperature)
1-½ cup Milk ( I use almond milk)
½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
¼ cups Butter, (melted)
¼ cups Granulated Sugar

Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
Separate the 2 eggs and put all of the egg whites (3 total) in a large bowl.
In a large liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until a batter is formed. Take care not to over-mix the batter.
Whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until they just begin to hold a loose peak. Scatter the sugar over the whites and continue beating until they hold a soft peak. Fold a third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten the base, then fold in the remaining whites.
Preheat a waffle iron to medium high. Brush the inside surface of the waffle iron with melted butter. Pour in enough batter to barely fill each hole of the waffle iron (keeping in mind that the batter will spread once the lid is closed). Close the iron and cook until crisp and the waffle iron stops steaming, about 5 minutes. Serve as the waffles come off the iron or transfer to a dish in the oven heated to 200 degrees F. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Enjoy!"

add in if using fruit or chocolate chips add them in after you fold in the egg whites and fold in gently
If using pumpkin mix in with the egg mixture about 1/4 cup

Have fun and add what ever you like. Just remember wet in with the egg yolk milk mixture and fruit and chips get folded in gently after you fold in egg whites.

4 comments:

The JR said...

I LUV waffles. Hubby doesn't. So, I end up usually eating them out.

Yours look really good!

My Crazy Family said...

They were really light. I think I would had likes them better if I just sprinkled pecans on top before I baked them. I don't care for chocolate so I have no idea why I added it to all the batter.

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks sooo good. I am wondering if there is a gluten free solution for me? Jessica loved the recipe and the butter made her smile.

Beautiful photos too. Is the lead photo from Henry Cowell?

My Crazy Family said...

Rhonda I will post a recipe for you to use in place of the flour.