Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nilla Waffer



When I was seven and lived in Oregon I was invited to dinner at a friends, it was one of those leave it to Beaver families, they had a nice house a very nice dining room and they sat at the table for dinner. Well almost 40 years later I still remember the dessert she made. I have no idea what she had for dinner just the dessert served in a glass dish. Hey I was only seven. Well I am getting older and for some reason lots of memories are coming back from when I was little and living in Oregon, I think because I have so many wonderful memories living there. We won't talk about the time on Christmas moring we locked my Mom out of the house in the snow. :o) My brother and I thought it was funny, needless to say she had on a nightgown and now shoes. But she does laugh about it now and I do remember her laughing then about it also.  But back to the recipe, it is one from many years ago using Nilla waffers and I bet you all have either had it before or seen the recipe. I had my youngest son make it with me for tonights dessert.

3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup flour
dash salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
45 NILLA Wafers, divided
5 bananas, sliced


MIX 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
RESERVE 12 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard onto bottom of 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover with layers of 1/3 each of the remaining wafers, bananas and remaining custard. Repeat layers 2 times.
BEAT egg whites on high speed of mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard, sealing well to edge of dish.
BAKE 15 to 20 min. or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Top with reserved wafers just before serving.

No comments: