Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Quinoa











I served this tonight as a main dish with a salad and it was a huge hit. Even my every picky eater is eating it. This would also be good as a side dish. I would jsut cut the recipe in half, I made enough for six people and two have gone back for seconds and I still have some left over. I think it would even be good served cold. I might make it that way for one of our church pot-lucks. You can use chicken broth if you like I just like the stronger flavor with the cubes.

1 teaspoon Olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
4 chicken bouillon cubes mixed in with 3 cups water
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cup frozen corn kernels
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with chicken broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
Stir frozen corn into the pan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

3 comments:

The JR said...

I'm not sure my picky eater would eat it. He's a meatatarian. Me though, I would try it for sure.

My Crazy Family said...

So is my husband and two of my kids but they all loved it. My husband who thinks the main food on his plate should be a huge piece of meat came home from work looking for more last night.

Unknown said...

Gonna try it tonight. Thanks - I didn't have time to roast a chicken or bake potatoes. I love quinoa b/c it's quick and easy, and VERY nutritious. I just hope they'll eat it. They don't usually like it. But I haven't dressed it up like this before.