Thursday, November 3, 2011

Monte Cristo


My family loves Monte Cristo's so I figure I would make them. I have been really sick with not too much going on in the taste bud area but I think they were good. The family liked them, Danny even asked for another one. Jacob who hates cheese even ate it with the cheese, Danny just ate around the cheese. We also found out that strawberries dipped in raspberry jam taste pretty good also.
Monte Cristo's are a little bit messy to make but really easy. I bet these would do good if I cooked them a little and froze them then finished frying when needed.
So give these a try they are really easy and not much work at all.

6 slice cooked turkey
6 slice Swiss cheese
6 slice cooked ham
6 slice American cheese
6 slice wheat bread

batter
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/3 cup water
1 large egg beaten
oil for deep frying


powdered sugar
red raspberry jelly

To assemble sandwiches: bread, turkey, Swiss cheese, bread, ham, American cheese, bread; cut in half diagonally. whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together to blend well. add water to the egg and add to the flour mixture mixing well. dip each sandwich half into the batter and deep-fry (oil must cover the sandwich) in oil pre-heated to 360 degrees until golden brown. remove from oil to paper towels. sprinkle with the powdered sugar. serve with warm or room temperature jelly.

2 comments:

The JR said...

I've seen these on tv and they seem such a strange combination.

My Crazy Family said...

This is one of my husband's favorite.