Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fruit Salsa




This is so good. We are having a pot-luck at church tomorrow so I thought I would make this salsa and chips to share. I also make Chulpa and salsa (see post below this one.) I bet pineapple would be really good in this.
The tortillas are baked not fried. When I was little my Mom's friend Nellie would make some of the best homemade tortilla and she would use the left over dough and fry it in oil and them put them in a paper bag that had cinnamon and sugar and shake them up. Nothing will ever taste as good as those did. It has been about 38 years since I had them but the memory is so vivid that it feels like it was only a few years ago. I also loved Nellie's Menudo I have tried a few over the years but once again nothing is as good as hers.
I was born in Long beach and this is where Nellie lived, it was a wonderful time to live in Long beach because the pike was there. Now I live in Santa Cruz and let me tell you the Boardwalk is nothing compared to the Pike. When I was 12 I went back to Long Beach and could not believe they were taking it apart. I had many wonderful memories there, well some not so wonderful either, but I can look back now and laugh about those. I will never go on a high ride or a roller coaster to this day because of one crazy nine year old who loved to scare his seven year old sister. I hope you will try this salsa and let me know what you think. 

2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
8 ounces raspberries
1 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
butter flavored cooking spray
2 cups cinnamon sugar
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350
Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture"




No comments: