Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars


One of the blogs I really enjoy reading is Bake or Break, you need to check it out, I have made a few recipes off of hers already.
I have been wanting to make these for awhile and figure tonight would be a good night to try it. I doubled the recipe since I am going to mail some of to the Soldiers we adopted and my oldest daughter. I used Raspberry preserve on one half and the Peach/Apricot jam I made. I have not decided which one I like better yet. I tried them while they were hot out of the oven. I will try them tomorrow after they have cooled and after my WW meeting, got to weigh in before I eat junk. LOL

Here is the recipe...

1 cup butter, softened, plus more for preparing pan
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for preparing pan
1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 & 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 cups strawberry jam (or other flavor)
1 cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 9″x 13″baking pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Butter the parchment and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
Beat butter and sugar together on medium speed of an electric mixer. Mix for about 2 minutes, until fluffy. Add eggs and peanut butter, and beat about 2 minutes or until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and beat on low speed until combined. Add vanilla and mix.
Transfer two-thirds of dough to pan and spread evenly. Spread jam on top of dough. Crumble remaining dough on top of jam. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until golden. Rotate pan half-way through baking. Tent loosely with foil if bars are getting too dark.
Cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around the edges to loosen. Refrigerate 1-2 hours. Cut into
bars and store in an airtight container at room temperature.







No comments: