Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Tessa's Spice Cake


I was in Costco today and these was a new cookbook these and as I was looking through it I came across this recipe and wanted to try it, I have been trying to be good and not buy anymore cookbooks so I came home and looked up the recipe. Let me just say I will be buying this cookbook.  The name of the cookbook  is  Sweet: Desserts from London's Ottolenghi Check it out on Amazon, I think you will love the recipes in it.
Give this recipe a try, you will not regret it. These would make wonderful Christmas gifts. The flavors are a wonderful blend. I wish you all could taste this right now, it is my new favorite. This will be on my dessert table for Christmas for sure.

3/4 cups butter, soften
3/4 cups light brown sugar
3/4 cups dark brown sugar. okay I have to confess, I did not have dark brown sugar so I added some molasses, about 1/8 cup
finely grated zest of 1 large orange
3 large eggs
1/2 sour cream
1 T vanilla
1 t pumpkin spice mix
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 t salt
1 t apple cider vinegar
Powder sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 spray a loaf pan and put parchment paper on the bottom and set aside.
I will be adding powder sugar when it cools,I think it is
perfect without it.
Place the butter, sugars and orange zest in mixing bowl with paddle attachment and beat on medium high speed until light and smooth.
In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs by hand. Add sour cream and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Sift together pumpkin pie spice, flour and salt together into a separate bowl and set aside/
In alternating batches with the machine on medium low speed, add a third of the egg-sour cream mixture to the creamed mixture, followed by a third of the flour mixture, continue with the second and third and beat until combined. In a separate small bowl combine the baking soda and the vinegar together, this mixture will fizz up a little that is fine, add this to the batter and as soon as everything is combine turn off the machine. Don't worry if the mixture starts to split at this point it will still cook up well. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 70 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and let cook in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and set a side to cool completely, Dust with powder sugar.



No comments: