Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Fruit Cake

Sorry it has been a while since I posted recipes here. My blog is a pain, I cannot upload photos for some reason and for the past week I have not even been able to post recipes. So I have have been posting them on my Facebook "April's Home Cooking page" So I will post as long as I can and maybe one day soon I can post pictures again.

2 cups butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
8 eggs, separated
2 ounces candied citron peel
2 ounces candied orange peel
1 cup dried currants
1 1/2 cups candied pineapple chunks
3 cups golden raisins
1 1/2 cups candied cherries
4 cups pecans, chopped
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup orange juice
            
    Chop pineapple, raisins, and cherries.  Combine chopped fruit with currants, peel, and citron; soak in orange juice overnight.      
    Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Place a small pan of water in the oven.  Line one 5 x 9 inch loaf pan and two 3 x 8 inch loaf pans with parchment or doubled waxed paper. 
    In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar.  Stir in beaten egg yolks.  Stir in fruit, juice, and nuts.  Mix in sifted flour.              
    In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to peaks.  Fold into batter.  Fill pans 2/3 full.              
    Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.              

    No comments: