Thursday, October 6, 2011

Shepherd Pie


















I made a shepherd pie tonight. I don’t really make these much, I would say maybe 4 times in the past 30 years and I have no idea why. My family loves them. Well tonight’s went over very well. I added a lot of vegetables to it. I have weird kids who just happen to love vegetables. I wanted to add peas to the casserole but all I had was frozen green beans. I have to admit there are a few vegetables I do not like. One is frozen green beans. I love fresh. The other is cooked carrots, I love raw carrots and could eat them all day but cook them and forget it. But I thought they were pretty good in this. Next time I will make sure I have frozen peas. 

6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

2 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoon finely chopped onion (I put mine through my bullet and added the juice and all)

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

5 carrots

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 onion, chopped

2 pound lean ground beef

4 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cup beef broth

small bag frozen peas

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese


Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, finely chopped onion and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, mash and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Spread the ground beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 9x13" pan. Next, add peas then spread a layer of mashed carrots. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.You can add any left over vegatables you want to this. If your kids won't eat veggies blend them up and mix with the meat mixture. I have never had a problem with my kids and veggies. As a side dish we had sliced raw carrots and raw snap peas.

1 comment:

The JR said...

I luv veggies. Hubby not so much.