Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

About 36 years ago my husband's job had a potluck and someone from his job brought this lemon poppy seed cake. My husband loved it, I was just learning to cook around this time. When I say I was just learning I mean I was opening up boxes and following the instruction on the box, I don't think I really made anything from scratch yet. Now it is very rare I use a mix, but when I was baking for the coffee bar I am setting up for church tomorrow I thought of this super fast east recipe and knew I had to add it to the layout.
My youngest son gave me a recipe he makes from his job for scones so I thought I would make them for tomorrow. I changed a few things in the recipe, I was at Trader Joe's (I love that store) and found these yummy cherries I had to get to add into the scones, well that will be my blog post for tomorrow so stay posted for the recipe.

Preheat over to 350

Lemon Poppy Seed bread, Scones, Banana Nut















1 box yellow cake mix
1 small box instant lemon pudding   
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons poppy seeds

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl,you can use a mixer if you want but I did it by hand.  Add the water and oil and mix well, beat eggs in one at a time Add poppy seeds and mix until poppy seeds are well incorporated.

pour batter into a well greased bunt pan and bake for 45 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
Cool for ten minutes before turning out of pan.

Glaze

1 cup powder sugar, sifted
3/4 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Mix and set aside until cake is completely cooled then pour on top.

Give this recipe a try, it makes a great potluck recipe and is so easy to make.
Let me know if you make it and how you like it.

Enjoy

No comments: