Friday, October 24, 2008

Pumpkin Cake

It is really good





I am not sure what I think about this cake. I made it for Sunday so I will come back and tell you all how it taste. I made it becasue I thought it was a pretty cake. Hey we taste with our eyes first right. As I was making it I was wondering if the person where I got the recipe from gave the right ingredients. I hate it when people do something with a recipe because they don't want anyone else to have the real recipe. Just don't give the recipe out. But come Sunday I will know how it taste. I had to make the cake twice because the first one was so heavy and I know that was not right.
OK, we tried the cake and it is good, it is a lowfat cake and a little heavy but good, so you have to try this one. I am use to light fluffy cakes, this is heavy like pound cake but really good.
Recipe
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
For fr
osting :
12 oz cream cheese, room temprature
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cups sugar
For syrup:
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
1 cup pomegranate seeds (about 2)
Preheat oven to 350°.Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add pumpkin; beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beting well after each addition and vanilla; beat until well blended.Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through nutmeg), stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into 2 (9-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray.Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.Split cakes in halves, brush with orange syrup each .For frosting beat cream-cheese with sugar until smooth and light, add sour cream beat for some more time.Place 1 cake layer on a plate. Spread cream cheese frosting evenly over top of cake. Top with the next cake layer; spread cream cheese frosting over top, continue like this with other 2 layers, spread frosting on the sides. Arrange orange slices in a ring around outer edge of top cake layer. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds over center of top cake layer. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator
I did a double layer of the oranges because I did not want a huge amount of seends on it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow April it turned out to be a big cake and would be good to share on Halloween or a coffee evening.

My Crazy Family said...

I cut two of the layers in half and put icing on it then I added a smaller top layer. I feed about 11-12 people on Sunday so I like to make them big. :o) I have another cake I want to make next week.

Megan said...

It is sure pretty. Cant wait to hear how it tasted. Have a piece for me! :)

My Crazy Family said...

OK, it is really good, you have to try it.